Thursday, April 18, 2013

Let the journey begin...

This journey is the start of a foodies dream to actually unequivocally find and defend the best burger in Omaha.  There will be other quests that loom, but everyone you talk to about tasty burgers names some place different.  I have eaten burgers at some pretty damn incredible places all over the country and the unique thing is every single one of them involved a protein of some sort in between a carbohydrate of some sort.

The first rule of the BBO ( Best Burger in Omaha) is there are NO rules. If something catches my eye, I will eat it.  I will not take the inept advice to try the same burger at every location to compare apples to apples.  If I wanted apples to apples I would eat a damn apple.  The other jaw dropping rule is that chains are included, with exception of BK and McD's.  We will rate the food in overly simplistic categories.  Food, atmosphere, service, and overall impression.

This journey will not be made alone.  I have enlisted the help of a master foodie expert in my sister, thusly doubling my burger experience at every location.  What she brings to the table is vast knowledge and a willingness to try unique things.  My wife, who is not a foodie per se, but what she may lack in food experimentation, she makes up ten fold from actually enjoying a good burger.  I do not want to under simplify my wife's role either.  She is one, that likes one type of burger, and as simple as that may be, there is no way to mask bad taste thusly really should put the fear in places.  She likes a burger cooked to perfection, with lettuce, tomato, and mayo.  That's it.  No frills, cheese, sauce, or anything to take away from the taste.  Sounds simple enough, but a degree over or under and you will be dead to her.

This is also not a closed contest.  We are always looking for a new place, or new company to show us a new place.  Much like good restaurants, it's a word of mouth kind of industry.  I believe that the Omaha food scene is massively under appreciated.  You would know if you have ever traveled to another state and ordered a steak.  I think that we under appreciate the food because we have come to  accept the fact that we eat like royalty.  It's like spoiled children.  To a degree you can't blame the child because that is how they were brought up.

No comments:

Post a Comment